toward a gene panel for psychiatric violence

I recently developed a method for specifying a comprehensive gene list for investigating genes related to psychiatric violence, which I describe below. First though, here’s a cool picture from the analysis: Method I started by extracting a list of diseases involving violence from [1], removing epilepsy, dementia, mental retardation (is there a better word for […]

rapidly identifying potential CRISPR/Cas9 off-target sites (part one)

Before we can score segments in the genome having a small number of mismatches to a CRISPR for their off-target risk, we must first find these segments. Searching for every possible mismatch permutation proves computationally expensive, so we apply the following heuristic: We only search for mismatches in the top positions relevant to CRISPR efficiency. […]

graph database for heterogeneous biological data

To assist with a project I’m working on, I recently implemented a substantial portion of DisGeNET as a graph database. Furthermore, I added MeSH, OMIM, Entrez, and GO into the database to facilitate linking of data between these sources. Here I briefly describe these data sources, describe graph databases, and then show how use of […]

the science of gender identity (part 1: genetics)

This is the first in a multi-part series surveying the current science of gender identity, particularly with regard to the transgendered population. I intend to discuss the genetic, brain anatomic, and neuropsychological findings of recent studies on the matter. As always, I will incorporate my own statistical analysis of raw study data wherever possible. Here […]

gene annotation database with MongoDB

After reading Datanami’s recent post “9 Must-Have Skills to Land Top Big Data Jobs in 2015” [1], I decided to round out my NoSQL knowledge by learning MongoDB. I have previously reported NoSQL work with Neo4j on this blog, where I discussed building a gene annotation graph database [2]. Here I build a similar gene […]

graph database for gene annotation

Lately I’ve been experimenting with graph databases using Neo4j and the Cypher query language. To get a feel for these tools, I created the following gene annotation network. The Cypher commands I used are discussed in this post, followed by a demonstration of querying the database. Creating the Graph Database We are creating the following […]

Excel mangles NCBI gene symbols

Using Microsoft’s Excel for bioinformatics work sucks, but sometimes a spreadsheet is the best format for communicating results to other scientists. The program’s default behavior mangles some NCBI gene symbols when you import them from a text file. Here is how to deal with it. Suppose you have the following list of gene symbols, and […]